Kazan Cathedral, St. Petersburg, Russia
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan broke ground in 1801 and construction continued for ten years. It was modelled by Andrey Voronikhin after St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, the cathedral was closed. It opened in 1932 as the pro-Marxist Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism. In 1996 the cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church. The interior features numerous sculptures and icons created by the best Russian artists of the day.