Kazan Cathedral, St. Petersburg, Russia
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan broke ground in 1801 and construction continued for ten years. It was modelled by Andrey Voronikhin after St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, the cathedral was closed. It opened in 1932 as the pro-Marxist Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism. In 1996 the cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church. The interior features numerous sculptures and icons created by the best Russian artists of the day.
The Decembrists Square in St. Petersburg
The Senate Sqaure, formerly known as Decembrists’ Square from 1925-2008 and Peter’s Sqaure before 1925 is a famous square in St. Petersburg. It is located in front of St. Isaac’s Cathedral. The Bronze Horsemen statue is dedicated to Peter the Great, the pedestal is the Thunder Stone, transported by man 6 km away.
Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg, Russia
The Peter and Paul Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox cathedral located in St. Petersburg. It was built between 1712 and 1733 and is located on Zayachy island along the Neva River. It is recognized by its golden spire, with a height of 123 meters and features an angel on the top holding a cross, one of the most important symbols of the city. The cathedral houses the remains of almost all the Russian Emperors and Empresses from Peter the Great to Nicholas II and his family who were finally laid to rest in July 1998. Thanks to Sofia.