Stari Most in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Stari Most (Old Bridge) is a reconstruction of a 16th century Ottoman bridge in the city of Mostar. It crosses the Neretva river. The Old Bridge stood for 427 years, until it was destroyed on November 9, 1993 by Bosnian Croat forces during the Croat-Bosniak war. After a reconstruction project, it was reopened in 2004. It is one of the countries most recognizable landmarks. The original bridge was commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent in 1557 and was 28 meters long and 20 meters high. In 2005 it was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.